Filed under: EVENTS!
We get fired up at Eye Spy about environmental issues. We are avid reducers, reusers and recyclers. So, when Earth Day rolls around, it’s hard for us to figure out what to differently to help Mother earth. This year, we racked our brains….and came up with some great ideas, or at least we think so!!
We asked the lab that cuts our lenses to save the cut and edged lenses that would normally be thrown away. We have a few boxes of them…and had planned to make a spectacular curtain out of them, but that has not happened yet:-( Soon…very soon! In the meantime, we will be using them this month for your benefit!! Drumroll please…
First, we filled up a big (actually, huge) mason jar with these lenses….and it is your job to guess how many lenses are in the jar!! If you guess correctly, YOU WIN A PAIR of PlasticDelux sunglasses!!
Next, we are putting together kits for you to take home on Earth Day and make a pendant from the old eyeglasses lenses! It is easy enough for a kid or adult to make…..and the results are super-awesome! If you cannot make it in, here are the instructions for the version pictured below….and here is another similar option
After we pay our taxes, we might go crazy and try and make this pendant….
We are also excited to have everyone write down a pledge that they are making for the month and hang the pledge on our clothes line. It can be a pledge to stop using paper towels, ride your bike more, or anything that you can do to help contribute to making our planet a healthier and more thriving place for all of us to live.
We are also offering a few deals, of course, that are easy on the earth *and* on your pocket book….
65% off all wooden eyewear in-stock
$50 off a complete pair of prescription eyewear if you donate an old pair of functioning glasses that we can send to New Eyes for the Needy
We have instilled green practices at Eye Spy Optical from day-one.
From printing on the back-sides of used paper rescued from local businesses & schools; giving used packing materials to neighborhood business; emailing receipts; online order-entry systems; reusing dishes, cups, and silverware; urging vendors to reduce packaging, shipments, paper invoices & faxes; reducing, reusing, recycling & composting; purchasing used furniture, fixtures & office equipment; using cloth towels instead of paper; giving away felt wine bags instead of paper shopping bags; refilling eyeglass spray bottles with concentrated cleaner; installing an extra pane of glass, insulation & LED bulbs in our storefront and in-store, we tend to go a bit over-board in our desire to lessen our impact on the planet.
Did we miss anything? Let us know!
Continue Reading >
Filed under: CUSTOMER OF THE WEEK!, FASHION!, Francis Klein
Three Cheers for Abigail! Our newest Customer of the Week!!!!
Like many of us, Abigail has an eye for the finer things in life. You know what I am talking about…things that shine and shimmy in the light…things that glint and glimmer. And who can blame her? Sparkles just make life better!
Luckily, for all of us, Francis Klein has the golden touch. Their glasses are more like jewelry than your run of the mill “medical device” frames. Some of their frames are more subtle…a few Swarovskis sprinkled at the temple of a frame. Some have a bit more magic…
These Lotus frames have put a spell on Abigail.
Abigail hasn’t been wearing glasses for long, but she knows what she wants…and she wants to be gorgeous in glitter!
Let’s Get to Know Abigail!
- What do you do for a living? I am a Door-Gal and a Massage Therapist
- How many glasses do you have? 2 pairs
- What is your astrological sign? Capricorn
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would that food be? Sushi
- What is your beverage of choice? Chai Tea or Malbec
- What is your secret talent? I can still do forward and backward rolls
- How long have you been wearing glasses? 2.5 yrs
- What is your guilty pleasure song? Tainted Love or Uncle Johns Band (Grateful dead)
- What is your favorite place on earth? In the arms of my wife
- What is your favorite moment? The day I got married.
You can find Abigail at her website Abidoula.com and at Chicago Doula Care on Yelp.
Continue Reading >
Filed under: HEALTH!, Non-Profit of the Month
Each month we donate a portion of sales at one of our events to a local non-profit organization. This month we are excited to be working with Mane in Heaven.
Mane In Heaven is a wonderful organization of volunteer workers that was founded in February 2012 by Mane in Heaven President Jodie Diegel with the mission to provide “therapeutic benefits to disabled and able-bodied children and adults through animal-assisted activity and therapy visits with miniature horses leading to improved outcomes of physical, mental and emotional well-being.”
Mane in Heaven ponies travel to Chicago-land area nursing homes, hospitals, retirement homes, schools and anywhere else therapy ponies might bring some joy and relief. It is no secret that therapy animals have been helping those in need for many years now, and we can’t think of another animal we’d like to meet quite as much as these adorable little beasts.
Pet Partners, the pioneer of animal-assisted therapy believes that therapy pet visit benefits include: Empathy, Outward Focus, Acceptance, Entertainment, Socialization, Mental Stimulation, Physical Contact, Physiological Benefits and more.
Want to support the ponies?
Come to our March Madness Makeover Party on March 19th from 12-4pm at Eye Spy Optical and complete your makeover with a new pair of fabulous specs – we will be donating a percentage of our sales from the day! You can also take a look at their website and and like their facebook page to keep up with their latest news, for opportunities to meet the ponies, and to find out how you can volunteer your time.
It is undeniable…these volunteers and ponies bring smiles to many faces – I bet you are smiling right now!
Continue Reading >
Filed under: CUSTOMER OF THE WEEK!, FASHION!, Theo
Say hi to Lizzie everyone! She is our most colorful Customer of the Week yet!
Seriously…Rainbow Brite’s got nothin’ on this girl!
Lizzie is a breath of fresh air…if air were rainbow-colored with a touch of acid. Just think Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat…with more Technicolor.
Lizzie was looking for some new specs to go with her already amazing rainbow wardrobe and heard that the Queen of Specs would have just what she needed at Eye Spy Optical. Dazzled by all the amazing shapes and colors, Lizzie was in heaven the minute she walked in the door. She looked around a bit and something caught her eye…but the Queen of Specs knew exactly what to show Lizzie: A neon yellow and pink limited edition Theo Mille+-4 frame.
It was almost as if that frame had been waiting for Lizzie to visit the shop. As Lizzie put the glowing glasses on, the Queen was not surprised…they were a perfect fit!
Lizzie declared that Eye Spy is “THE greatest optic shop I’ve ever known of. I’m a total convert; there’s no better place that suits my style” and the rest is history!
Let’s get to know Lizzie!
- What do you do for a living? I’m a college student (Biology major,) writer, fashion blogger, and multimedia artist. I’m preparing to enter a pre-med program at UIC.
- How many glasses do you have? Only one Rx pair, but I want to expand my eyeglass wardrobe so I can coordinate with all of my outfits! I love my current pair; they fit so well into my style! I am eyeing a nice pair of custom Frances Klein glasses, however; luckily I know where to go!
- What is your astrological sign? I’m a Libra! I’ve interpreted my birth chart for fun and I have a lot of Aquarius influence as well! I suppose that accounts for the eccentricity.
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would that food be? Vegan ice cream! At least I won’t run out of flavors. Though it would be nice to have french fries to dip in them…
- What is your beverage of choice? Every Slurpee flavor layered in a rainbow. None of the sugar-free flavors though; gotta keep the dentist in business!
- Do you have a hobby? Tell me about it! I absolutely love making or altering my clothing or accessories, skateboarding, drawing, studying medicine and psychology, playing music, and singing. I’ve had a DIY philosophy ever since I was little; I even dye and cut my own rainbow hair!
- What is your secret talent? I’m extremely observant, and I can keenly read people down to the smallest detail, despite being quite shy (even though I’m neon, I’m rather quiet!) I also have a great knowledge base of music, movies, TV, and fashion from decades before I was even born. It’s great because I can track cultural influences and origins down very quickly, and I’m certainly never bored! It also impresses people who are years my senior, who I often find I share more in common with than my peers!
- How long have you been wearing glasses? Ever since I was 10, so about 14 years. I went through contact lens phases, but mostly because I wanted 50 pairs of fashion glasses to swap out whenever I wanted. I think glasses look great, and rarely have I been seen without them since adulthood. (She is our kinda gal!)
- Would you rather: tap or swim for a whole day? I’d love to swim for a whole day! That was all summer for me as a kid. My mom and grandma used to say I was “just like a fish,” because it was near-impossible to get me out of the water. I’m still the same, as long as the water’s warm enough.
- What is your guilty pleasure song? I’m very open and honest about the immense variety of music I listen to, but I’d say “You Make Me Feel Like Dancing” by Leo Sayer or “Holiday Road” by Lyndsay Buckingham. They may be a bit cheesy, but those harmonies get me every time.
- What is your favorite place on earth? San Francisco. I’m just another eccentric there, and I love it. It always reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson’s “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” quote in reference to this: ‘just another freak in the freak kingdom.’ It’s comforting.
- What is your favorite moment? Taking the subway to the Cook County Courthouse on Halloween to marry my husband, the only person I’ve ever fallen in love with. We wanted to do things in our own casual, offbeat way. My mom made a beautiful rainbow bouquet for me by hand, and our whole ceremony is on tape! Easily the most incredible event in my entire life.
Lizzie has a Tumblr blog where she posts fashion, videos, art and anything that inspires her: trashylvania.tumblr.com.
Continue Reading >
Filed under: EVENTS!, FASHION!, HEALTH!
Join us on Saturday, March 19th from 12-4pm!
I don’t know about you, but we are all getting more than a bit antsy in our pantsies for some Spring around here. And what’s better than a new look to start off the spring right?
This year we are really excited to have so many great people joining us for our day of fun. We have invited 2 make-up artists (one more traditional and one more avant-garde), an accessory designer, a skin care guru, and a manicurist to join us for our party!!
Ursula came highly recommended by our very own Specs Wrangler, Patsy. They worked together when Patsy needed a makeup artist for her senior thesis fashion shoot. She’ll be doing FREE mini-makeovers and giving makeup tips.
Sky Cubacub can decorate your face with rad makeup designs & decorate your body with her amazing handmade accessories!
Jenny from Noktivo Salon will be painting your nails with beautiful nail polishes that are good for you & the planet!
And Dr. Jan Iwata will help you make your skin lovely for Spring with her new line of natural skin care products: Radiant Beauty Orangics!
Of course, it wouldn’t be a party without some delectable treats to nibble and beverages to sip.
Bring your friends and shake off that last bit of winter while having some fun and trying a new look – you might even find a fabulous and funky new pair of glasses that completes your fabulous spring makeover:-)
Continue Reading >
Filed under: Anne et Valentin, CUSTOMER OF THE WEEK!, FASHION!
Valentine’s Day was Sunday, so we declare that this is the week of LOVE and I am deeply IN LOVE with our Customer of the Week’s glasses. Give yourself a little hug in honor of Karen!!!
Doesn’t Karen look fabulous in her new glasses?!? This is her first pair of Eye Spy specs, and wow! She chose such a unique and bold frame that fits her to a T.
Anne et Valentin’s Kodex frame is part of a new series that they premiered at the trade show in Paris back in Sept. When the Queen of Specs and the Specs Wrangler saw these beauties, they gasped! The colors, the shapes, the polka dots! It is like they were made for Eye Spy…and they were definitely made for Karen, ’cause when she put them on, it was obvious that she had to take them home.
Let’s Get to Know Karen!!!
- What do you do for a living? I work for Georgetown University in Qatar (that’s just north of Saudi Arabia). I’m their Associate Director of Talent Management.
- How many glasses do you have? How many do I have or how many do I wear? I have three pair now–four, if you count my prescription sunglasses–but I tend to wear the same pair day after day (indoors anyway!).
- What is your astrological sign? I’m an Aries with a Cancer moon. Fire and water, which pretty much equals ash.
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would that food be? A gooey, hot cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting.
- What is your beverage of choice? Skinny lattes during the day. Sidecars (with a sugar rim, please) in the evening.
- Do you have a hobby? Tell me about it! I like to write fiction for fun.
- What is your secret talent? My friends at work call me the Proofreading Nazi, because I catch flaws in everything (and now I’m praying to God I haven’t mucked anything up with this questionnaire…).
- How long have you been wearing glasses? Since I was 9 years old. A very, very long time.
- Would you rather: tap or swim for a whole day? Tap! I was a Theatre major and took my fair share of dance classes. It’s fun and you get the added bonuses of music and an audience (with any luck at all).
- What is your guilty pleasure song? Anything by P!nk. Though I’m not very guilty about it.
- What is your favorite place on earth? Cornwall, UK
Cornwall looks LOVELY!!!
12. What is your favorite moment? When I get off the elevator, coming home from work, and I hear my dog, Oliver, barking with joy from behind my apartment door.
Karen is as interesting as her glasses and we can’t wait for her to visit us again so we can chat all about her travels, her dog Oliver and her next daring pair of glasses.
Continue Reading >
Filed under: CUSTOMER OF THE WEEK!, FASHION!, Francis Klein
Put your dancin’ shoes on ’cause Meghan got some new glasses AND she is our Customer of the Week!
Meghan and her husband come in to shop for glasses about once a year and let me tell you – this lady is a complete delight! She likes to try on frames that are a little unexpected and was not finding anything that felt perfect on her last visit…that is until Patsy picked out the ever so sweet Chou frame by Francis Klein for her to try on.
Glitter, leopard print, Swarovski crystals, gold hand painting…what else could a girl want?!? Meghan has a petite face and Chou is a great fit. Her eyes really pop and the color is divine with her ginger hair.
- Chou in another pretty color – but is it as pretty as Meghan’s glasses?
These beauties came back from the lab just in time for Meghan to wear them to a work party she was throwing for Revolution Brewing, and from what we hear, she was the belle of the ball! She also told us she was planning on wearing them with a horse dress…and this is pretty much what I imagine she looked like at her party
Is this Meghan’s horse dress? I sure hope so. :)
Let’s get to know Meghan!!!
- What do you do for a living? Event Planner at Revolution Brewing
She planned the fiesta themed employee party…and even had Beer Serapes!!!
- How many glasses do you have? 3
- What is your astrological sign? Gemini
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would that food be? Pizza
- What is your beverage of choice? Beer (Duh, I work in a brewery.)
- Do you have a hobby? Tell me about it! Reading. I can drink beer while I do it, and it keeps me off my feet.
- What is your secret talent? I play saxophone, specifically the baritone sax (like Lisa Simpson)
- How long have you been wearing glasses? Full time for 6 years, off & on for 20
- Would you rather: tap or swim for a whole day? Swim. I was a lifeguard for many years, and had my first swim lesson when I was 9 days old.
- What is your guilty pleasure song? I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift
- What is your favorite place on earth? Anywhere with a beautiful view of nature and no cell reception.
- What is your favorite moment? Having a beer with my husband at the end of the day
Congrats to Meghan and her new specs!!! She looks fantastic in her fabulous new frames. And if you are thinkin’ about having a party of your own, get in touch with Meghan and you may get a chance to be dazzled by her new glasses yourself!
Continue Reading >
Filed under: CUSTOMER OF THE WEEK!, FASHION!, Francis Klein, Unique Frame Lines
Jump for joy for Jen, our new Customer of the Week!
Jen came into the store a couple years ago for her first pair of Eye Spy specs and chose a beautiful classic tortoise Caroline Abram cat-eye frame that was neutral and easy to wear with anything. She wore them for 2 years, loving them every minute but needed to update her prescription. This time around she decided she wanted something a little more fun, something with a little more punch so she came back to Eye Spy and Sara, our Design Maven, knew just what would make her heart sing. Together they created her very own personalized pair of Francis Klein frames.
Francis Klein frames are a favorite of so many people for a reason. They are very customizable – with hundreds of combinations of shapes, colors and decor options to choose from. The result? Dream Glasses!!!!
We think Jen wins the frame game…these are the perfect shape and hot pink is a most amazing color with her complexion and her hair!
This process could be overwhelming for some, but Sara made it easy. They started by selecting a shape. Jen has a rounded face and high cheeks, so cat-eye frames are a natural fit. The angles balance her face and the uplifted shape make her look even happier than she already is. The color choices were probably the hardest part but there was something about that hot pink that just felt right for the front. They balanced this out with a soft jade green on the temples. Finally they looked at the decor choices and decided on one that features hand-painted flowers with glittery Swarovski crystal centers. So sweet!
Pretty sure she needs to wear these at Pretty in Pink when it is in the theaters on Valentine’s day!
Lets get to know Jennifer!!!
1. What do you do for a living? I make hand-crafted herbal tinctures and essential oils at an integrative health clinic. You can call me a potion master (Oh…WE WILL!)
2. How many glasses do you have? 2 with my current prescription, but altogether, about 15
3. What is your astrological sign? Scorpio, of course
4. What is your beverage of choice? This week it’s the Moscow Mule.
5 What is your secret talent? I play the French Horn (38 years) and the Mandolin (3 years)
6. How long have you been wearing glasses? 34 years
7. What is your guilty pleasure song? Mr. Blue Sky, but This Corrosion runs a very close second.
8. What is your favorite place on earth? Any place that has trees or water as far as they eye can see, which is pretty far with my awesome glasses!
Jen’s new frame is as unique as she is and we can’t wait to see her again. If you are feeling a little bit envious, you should come in and ask about designing your own custom frame. We’ll make sure the process is fun and easy and that you get a frame that is perfect for you.
Continue Reading >
Filed under: CUSTOMER OF THE WEEK!, Theo
New Year, New Unique Glasses!
Get ready to do the wave (yes people still do that!) in celebration of Karen, our Customer of the Week! Karen’s new specs are winners and so is she!!!
New Glasses, Oh JOY!!!
It is a new year and we are happy to ring it in with a face you may recognize. Karen has been a customer for ten years and is now a two time Customer of the Week winner! (Last time she got a particularly cool pair of Gentle Monster frames.)
Karen is one smart cookie. She is a a businesswoman – she is the Founder and Executive Director at the Chicago Mosaic School, a teacher – check out all the amazing classes over at CMS – you need a new hobby right?!? – and an amazing mosaic artist who has shown internationally in Italy, Japan and France (just to name just a few.)
Don’t let her impressive resume intimidate you…she is full of sass and you will probably find yourself laughing your face off if you spend any time with her.
Karen has a love for funky eyeglasses and with the help of her trusted friend and optician, Patsy the Spex Wrangler, she always manages to leave Eye Spy Optical with a frame that fits her personality to a T.
This gorgeous Theo Mille+12 is the newest addition to her eyewear collection. We think they are a perfect pair for her frame wardrobe. Theo makes bold and chunky acetate glasses that make a statement. The Mille+12’s structured cat-eye shape is modern and has all the right angles – and the color of this frame is to die for!
If you see Karen out and about ask her for her secret to winning COTW twice and find out where she is headed next. We guarantee you will love her as much as we do!
Continue Reading >